Tuesday, May 25, 2010

All Workouts All The Time


Hello Cardio

Header

Hello, my name is Maggie, and I am a self-proclaimed...cardio addict!

Much to my surprise, and counter to what has always worked for me, I am learning to kick my cardio compulsion. Consecutive years practicing the same movement has resulted in my body becoming very accustomed to my lengthy cardio sessions; accustomed means less impact and little change over long periods of time. The icing on the cake, I have over-stressed my system...I need a change!

In my determination to to keep just a hint of cardio in my workout per week, I am following the workout plan you see below. These short but sweet runs are keeping me interested, and the constant change ensures my body does not familiarize to the workouts. A great bonus - less cardio has meant more me time per week! I’ve gone from spending almost 7 hours a week on cardio (up to 12 hours during competition time) to only hitting the treadmill for a total of 1 hour a week. Plus, the great thing about Spring and Summer is that you get switch between the gym and the fabulous outdoors.

Helpful Hints: Make sure that you get a good stretch in before you begin your run. Focus on your whole body as running incorporates each muscle group and joint. 10 minutes should do the trick.

Week 1
2 mile run 3 times a week - Try to beat your time each run!

Week 2
1.5 mile run 3 times a week - Try to beat your time each run!

Week 3
3 half mile sprints with a 2 minute break in between each half mile, 3 times a week. You
guessed it...Try to beat your time each session!

Look out for my cover on Canadian Running Magazine this Summer!


Abdominal Workout

Header

Everyone yearns for a six-pack they can be proud of and this set of exercises will help you meet that goal. I am pretty sure I mentioned this one on facebook, but I am personally so impressed by its results, that I wanted to share it again via the blog.

To give you an overview, this core workout will involve 3 different exercises with a repetition range of 6 reps followed by 12 reps, followed by 25 reps. Choose your tempo and/or resistance accordingly, however ensure you are just about, or completely worn out by the end of the prescribed repetition range in each exercise. You will be completing a total of 4 sets with 10 seconds between each exercise and 1 minute between sets. Try out this routine next time you hit the gym and let me know what you think.

1. 6 Hanging Straight Leg Raises:

How To: Position yourself in the hanging leg raise machine with your hands holding the grips and your forearms resting on the padded arm rests. Keep your lower back against the back rest and keep your chin down toward your chest. Allow your legs to hang down with heels together. With your core tight raise your legs so that your legs and upper body make a 90 degree angle. Lower slowly.

Hints: To make this more difficult, cut the pace in half to go verrry slow. To make this easier, bend your knees.

2. 12 Reverse Crunches on a Bench with a Leg Lower Combo

How To: Lay your back on the bench and hold on to the bench with either hand by your head. Bring your legs straight up toward the ceiling and lift your pelvis off the bench, contracting your
abs. Then slowly lower your pelvis and legs until they are parallel to the bench but not touching the bench. Remember to keep breathing throughout.

3. Front Plank With Raise:

How to: Down to the ground on a mat in a plank position. Raise your hips up to the ceiling then lower toward the ground. Move your hips at a steady controlled pace up and down 25 times

You will know you have done this workout right as you won’t be able to train your abs for at least 4 days. Feel the burn!

Lean Legs Baby

Header
Don’t be afraid to lift as much weight as you can possibly handle here. The resistance will not make you bigger,

your food and infinite rest time will... so will a bunch of other thing’s. The point I am trying to get across is don't wimp out of using a heavy (and safe) weight!

1. Single Leg - Leg Press. 12 reps per leg

Super set with Barbell Squat. 10 full range squats


2. Barbell Squat. 10 Full Range squats

Super set with Weighted Walking Lunges. 20 lunges (10 each leg)

Rest 1.5 minutes (Savor this time)

3. Leg Extension. 20 reps

Super set with Hamstring Curls. 10 reps

Super set with Barbell Dead Lifts. 12 reps

Rest 2 minutes

Puke from exhaustion here!!! Just kidding.

Repeat 2-3 more times. Voila! Lean Legs Baby.

Want more workout ideas? Check out Top 10 Workouts for more exercises from me and other expert personal trainers! You get the 10 best exercises for any muscle group or workout program and then mix and match them for a customized workout.

Watch the videos and put them on your phone for a personal trainer in your pocket. Workout anywhere with www.top10workouts.com

3 comments:

  1. hey maggie. what does your daily meal plan usually consist of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie!
    I am not really a cardio junkie, but sometimes I feel like I've done more in my workouts when I do a lot of cardio. Now I run every morning, since I am traingin for a 10k!
    I love your blog and you're a great source of inspiration! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its Pleasure to read your blog.The above articles is very impressive, Make sure that your fitness workout covers all muscle groups. A fitness program and a healthy diet are a successful recipe for a healthier life.
    Lakewood gym

    ReplyDelete